This via Stephen Downes...
Konrad has been reflecting on the use of group work after some feedback from teachers, parents and students at school.
Image: Lilia Efimova
English 8, 2006-07 » Group Work: Good or Bad? In this link you can read some points about the pros and cons of group work as year 8 students explain.
Some of the points from the students that stood out for me:
- maybe people just don?t like group work because they are not able to communicate and share their ideas with others.
- there is another type when you have to make sure that you have done something and try and trick others into showing that you have actually done something.
- if people are trained to put their brains together, to give different ideas, then a project could almost always go further.
- Group work will help people to cooperate with people you don?t like and it is very important because even when you go to work when you are old, you will still be doing group work all the time.
- My conclusion is not that group work is better than Individual work, but group work can teach students which can?t be taught by always working individually. i also agree on how Konrad Glogowski said about group works making the class noisy and de-concentrated.
Well-considered points don't you think? And these are just a few!
How do your students find group work? What dynamics stand out for you as a teacher or as a learner?
All this reminds me that we need to remain critically aware of the strategies we employ in our teaching and learning and not take things for granted - one size doesn't fit all!
Blogged with Flock